Saturday, February 11, 2012

Taxonomy Table for Toussaint Louverture Activities

This week in my f2f Global Studies class I piloted activities in which students uncovered information about Haitian Revolutionary leader Toussaint Louverture.  I was also pleasantly surprised at how much work I was able to cross apply to this project and to Assessment in E-Learning.  When I began the Assessment class I envisioned applying a lot of the class work to my AP European History class, because I already use Moodle occasionally for that class. But, since I am using my exploration of e-learning as a tool in developing curriculum that "uncovers" history, there is opportunity to apply concepts to all of my classes.

Developing a roster of assessment activities linked to Bloom's taxonomy did encourage me to deepen the activities, and for the taxonomy I created a final activity, composing a letter to our textbook publisher, that I did not do in class.  While doing the activities in class allowed the activity to develop more quickly, I can see advantages to doing the lessons online.  For instance, by having students construct their profiles of Toussaint through a wiki page, the facilitator will be able to track what each student contributed.  In class I had too many students watching other students work; and, the next time that I do this I will need to create individual roles and/or have students complete self-reports on their contributions.  Also, I think that the extended wait time of a forum discussion would bring more student voices into discussion of the primary sources.  A significant advantage, since this is the heart of the activity.

A very productive week of curriculum development.

No comments:

Post a Comment