Saturday, January 21, 2012

Assessment Inventory

I found the assessment inventory from Wisc-Online well conceived. Most of the content was familiar to me.  As a classroom teacher for 20+ years I have been in a lot of formal and informal discussions about assessment strategies.  This inventory strikes me as having a useful level of repetition of concepts and examples.  Manipulating the same set of examples a few times over short time period help to solidify the definitions of teacher- and student-centered assessment.

Despite my firm belief in and appreciation for student-centered assessment, I still find myself doing less of it than I would like.  The forces of tradition, habit, and external curricular and testing expectations all weigh against it. But, these are ultimately not sufficient excuses for ignoring what is clearly in the best interests of students and their learning.  Besides my work in this class, I am involved in several efforts to move more in this direction, and I am glad to have this impulse reinforced here.

No comments:

Post a Comment